It’s time for my annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame + Museum WTF? omissions list:
The Zombies (I cannot even); War; Megadeath; X; Warren Zevon; XTC; Dead Kennedys; My Bloody Valentine; Dire Straits; Nick Drake; Motorhead; Black Flag; Prefab Sprout; The Doobie Brothers(!); New York Dolls; Nine Inch Nails; Duran Duran; Slayer; Television; The Pixies; Ozzy as a solo artist; Pantera; Eurythmics; Phil Ochs; Depeche Mode; Iron Maiden; Roxy Music; Pat Benatar; Faith No More; Steve Winwood (solo); Pavement; Sinead O’Connor; Sonic Youth; Flaming Lips; Gram Parsons; Peter Paul & Mary; Bjork; Devo; The Guess Who; New Order; Procol Harum; The Replacements; Harry Nilsson(!!); Nick Cave; Scott Walker; Husker Du; Kate Bush; Siouxsie and the Banshees; The Breeders; The Jam; The Smiths; INXS; Joy Division; Soundgarden; Whitney Houston(!!!); Jethro Tull; Judas Priest; The Monkees (!!!!); Bad Company; Sparks; The Specials; King Crimson; Big Star (!!!!!!); Link Wray; The Spinners; Kraftwerk (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!); The Buzzcocks; Captain Beefheart; The B-52’s; Steppenwolf; Mary Wells; Stone Roses; Blur; Love (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!); Suicide; Chic; Massive Attack; T. Rex (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!); MC5; The Cure; Thin Lizzy; Three Dog Night; Tommy James and the Shondells (not enough exclamation points in the universe); Big Mamma Thornton; Django Reinhardt; The Sugarhill Gang; Moby; Dolly Parton; Happy Mondays; Emmylou Harris; Glen Campbell; Jacques Brel; Kansas; Nina Simone; Bing; Frank; Gil Scott-Heron; Richard Hell and the Voidoids; George Jones; Patsy Cline; The Weavers; The Seeds; The Carter Family; The Association; Mission to Burma; Richie Havens; The Kingston Trio; BTO; Tom Lehrer; Waylon Jennings; Ravi Shankar; Madness; Willie Nelson; The Bangles; Dick Dale; Bon Jovi; The Cars; NEU!; The Moody Blues; Emerson Lake and Palmer; the Crystals; Sammy Hagar; Def Leppard; Johnny Winter; Motley Crue; the late great Ronnie James Dio; The Melvins; The Undertones; The Cramps; The Jesus and Mary Chain; Rory Gallagher; Chubby Checker; John Coltrane; Todd Rundgren; Brian Eno; Smashing Pumpkins; Pulp; Little Feat; Herbie Hancock; Free; Jane’s Addiction; A Tribe Called Quest; Boston; Supertramp; The Sonics; Blue Oyster Cult; Garth Brooks; Ben E. King; George Michael; hell, WHAM!; Kool & the Gang; Fela Kuti; The Commodores; the Shangri-las; Cliff Richard; The Shadows; Peter Frampton; Paul Revere and the Raiders; the Mekons; the Searchers; Squeeze; the Go-Go’s; John Prine; Primal Scream; Phish; Joe Jackson; Badfinger; Manic Street Preachers; Marianne Faithfull; Toots and the Maytals; Mott the Hoople; Jonathan Richman and/or the Modern Lovers; Slade; Joe Cocker; Stevie Nicks; Foreigner; Luther Vandross; Johnny Ace; Paul Anka; Tina Turner (solo); Pet Shop Boys; Rufus and/or Chaka Khan; Blood Sweat & Tears; Public Image Ltd.; Meat Loaf; Melissa Etheridge; the Human League; Steve Earle; Nazareth; Tangerine Dream; Can; Cyndi Lauper; Johnny Burnette and the Rock and Roll Trio; Cher; Ministry; Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels; Dionne Warwick; Echo & the Bunnymen; Midnight Oil; Fairport Convention and/or Richard Thompson and/or Sandy Denny; Blue Cheer; Magazine; Grand Funk Railroad; Ry Cooder; Gang of Four; Wire; The Spencer Davis Group; Joe Walsh (solo); Billy Idol and/ or Generation X; Teenage Fanclub; Violent Femmes; Bad Religion; De La Soul; Lesley Gore; Gary Numan; Soft Machine; Grass Roots; Moby Grape; Minutemen; John Mayall; Iggy Pop; the Turtles; The Stranglers; Tim Buckley; Rick James; the Fall; Diana Ross (solo); the The; the Pogues; the Sweet; the Misfits; Tom Jones; Barry White; Them; the Troggs (should be there for those session tapes alone); Iron Butterfly; They Might Be Giants; Gordon Lightfoot; the 13th Floor Elevators; John Hiatt; Jim Croce; Spirit; Herman’s Hermits; the Damned; Carly Simon; Lionel Richie; the Fugs; Ian Dury; Morrissey (solo); the Feelies; Harry Chapin; Thobbing Gristle; Toto; the Slits; Nitty Gritty Dirt Band; Serge Gainsbourg; Talk Talk; Teardrop Explodes and/or Julian Cope; Orange Juice; Kenny Loggins; Boz Scaggs; the Chiffons; the Fifth Dimension; John Martyn; the Box Tops (seriously, Alex Chilton is NOWHERE to be found in the HOF lists); 10CC; the Incredible String Band; the Bar-Kays; Swans; Status Quo; Matthew Sweet; Yngwie Malmsteen; Petula Clark; Connie Francis; Screamin’ Jay Hawkins; Weird Al Yankovic; Janet Jackson; Eric B. & Rakim; Joe Tex; Africa Bambaataa; Sade; Aphex Twin; Frankie Knuckles; PJ Harvey; Tori Amos; and the Carpenters.
Opinion time now:
- I knew Pearl Jam was first ballot material, this is no surprise, is well deserved, and absolutely correct.
- Joan Baez is a goddess, it’s overdue, and absolutely correct.
- Tupac is fantastic. I don’t disagree with this choice though there are artists I think deserve recognition first. I will not deny his impact on music nor do I think that his inclusion is anything but great.
- ELO means Jeff Lynne is now in the HOF and this is a correction long coming.
- While I am not a Yes fan, I am a fan of Rick Wakefield’s keyboard work, and his wizard hats and capes. Yes were instrumental in the prog rock movement and they deserve their inclusion.
- Journey has one good song, a singer that could hit insane notes, and Neil Schon. This does not make an act influential or even good. Journey’s inclusion over the still massive list above is aneurysm inducing. I know they won the fan vote. Maybe it’s time to end the fucking fan vote.
- Kraftwerk, Big Star, the Smiths, the Zombies, Chic. Come. On. Journey over them? ( I did vote. Not for Journey.)
- The HOF is still Billboard and Rolling Stone centric and that really has to end.
- No, giving Nile Rodgers a Musical Excellence award does not make up for the fact Chic is still not in the HOF.
- Fuck you, Jann Wenner.